In a heavy saucepan combine cream cheese, jalapeño liquid and chilies. Place over low heat and whisk occasionally until cheese is melted. Coarsely chop artichokes. Stir into...
Recipe: Chili Con Queso with Crab Appetizer
12 to 14 servings
– 1 pound light cream cheese, cut into chunks
– ¼ cup liquid from jar of pickled jalapeño chilies (see note)
– 2 pickled jalapeño chilies, stemmed, seeded and chopped
Most Read Stories
- Seattle’s income tax on the wealthy is illegal, judge rules
- Analysis: Five reasons the Seahawks waived Dwight Freeney WATCH
- Retired Alabama cop on Roy Moore: ‘We were also told to ... make sure that he didn’t hang around the cheerleaders’
- Jobs that pay without a B.A.: the most lucrative fields in Washington state
- A Washington syrah was named second best wine in the world
– 2 cans (14 ounces each) artichoke hearts, drained well 8 ounces sour cream
– 12 ounces fresh crab meat or 2 (6-ounce) cans crab meat, drained, flaked
– 1 tablespoon lime juice
– 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
– Tortilla chips
1. In a heavy saucepan combine cream cheese, jalapeño liquid and chilies. Place over low heat and whisk occasionally until cheese is melted.
2. Coarsely chop artichokes. Stir into the cheese mixture with the sour cream, crab meat, lime juice and cilantro. Heat on low heat just until hot. Stir often.
3. Transfer to a chafing dish and serve with tortilla chips.
Note: If you don’t like hot flavors, omit the pickled jalapeño liquid and chilies. Substitute ½ teaspoon Worchestershire sauce and 1 teaspoon dried dill weed or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill. Substitute minced parsley for the cilantro. Serve with potato chips instead of tortilla chips.
From “El Paso Chili Company’s Texas Border Cookbook” by W. Park Kerr and Norma Kerr.