NEW YORK (AP) — Former “Top Chef” Fatima Ali says she has a year to live.
The 29-year-old underwent surgery to remove a tumor in January. However, Ali wrote Tuesday in an essay for Bon Appetit that the “cancer cells my doctors believed had vanished are back with a vengeance in my left hip and femur bone.” Ali says her oncologist told her she has a year to live, “with or without the new chemotherapy regimen.”
She writes she used to dream of owning her own restaurant. Now she has a growing list of restaurants to visit and is “sketching a plan” to eat her way through New York.
Ali says “every day is an opportunity for me to experience something new.”
Most Read Life Stories
- 6 truly beginner-friendly routes hikers of all skill levels can enjoy in Seattle and beyond VIEW
- In winter, lowland hikes beckon — and Deception Pass delivers VIEW
- Cheers to Costco! A sommelier picks his 5 favorite bottles of Kirkland wine
- Veterinary Q&A: Bloody diarrhea Part 2 -- hemorrhagic gastroenteritis
- Hot burgers: The new branch of Seattle favorite Dick's opens in Kent today
Ali appeared on Season 15 of the Bravo series.