Some familiar names such as The Halal Guys and Kidd Valley are opening new branches in Seattle and Bellevue.
Hokkaido Ramen Santouka opens in University Village, the second ramen house that the Japan-based chain has opened in Washington state. The one in Bellevue made our list of best ramen in the area three years ago. Hokkaido is the latest of the big names to open in U Village, following Ba Bar and Ma’ono.
New York City’s The Halal Guys debuted in Pioneer Square to long lines, a 30-minute wait for gyros, falafels and rice platters. A spokesman said there are plans to add up to three more branches around Seattle over the next three years. (Sorry, Eastsiders. No plans to open in the Bellevue area at this time.)
Hi B3ar, the ice-cream-roll-and-bubble-tea place in Boston, opens in the Chinatown-International District. It’s located in the Pacific Rim Center, which is starting to fill some vacancies, most recently with the banh-mi joint Lan Hue Bakery.
Redhook Brewlab opens on Capitol Hill with a rotating 16-tap list, mostly small-batch and experimental brews; bar snacks and pizzas come from its stone-hearth oven.
Most Read Life Stories
- Kirkland's DERU Market is exactly the kind of restaurant our new neighborhood food writer hopes to discover in the Greater Seattle area
- Better than Din Tai Fung? There's a new king in the Greater Seattle soup dumpling race.
- Looking for an Eastside waterfront hangout? Try Bellevue's Meydenbauer Bay Park | Seattle Sketcher
- The 4 best sandwiches around Seattle that restaurant critic Tan Vinh has had this month
- Need a vacation? Choose your own adventure from these 35 weekend getaways
Happy Grillmore, which started in Portland, now has a burger-and-shake joint in the Central District.
Another burger-and-shake joint, Lunchbox Laboratory opens in the Redmond Town Center.
Cone & Steiner expands to downtown, offering sandwiches and other to-go offerings for office workers.
La Toscanella comes to South Park.
Sprigy expands to First Hill.
Café Red isn’t just a cart anymore; It has a coffee shop near the Othello Station with Philippine espresso and sandwiches.
Seattle Pops opens a retail Popsicle store in Wallingford.
Musashi’s expands to Chinatown-International District.