PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — One of the most widely read food magazines says there’s no better U.S. city for restaurants than Portland, Maine.
Bon Appétit published an article on its website Tuesday that declared Maine’s largest city the 2018 Restaurant City of the Year. Deputy editor Andrew Knowlton wrote the article, which says the “sheer number of outstanding openings” in the city have made it the top food destination in the country this year.
Knowlton previously declared Portland “America’s Foodiest Small Town” in a 2009 article for the same magazine.
Other recent City of the Year winners have included much larger metropolises like Washington, D.C., and Chicago. Portland is the smallest city to get the honor. It’s a city of about 67,000 with a restaurant scene that draws legions of tourists.
Most Read Life Stories
- Struggling to make good nutrition choices? It's not about willpower
- Exquisitely cooked meat dishes at Seattle's Samara come from a chef who's learned to lasso fire VIEW
- Seattle restaurant classics: Why you need to go to Ezell's Famous Chicken VIEW
- For an expansive sampling of Portugal, make Lisbon your home base — then plan day-trips to these coastal villages and medieval cities VIEW
- Bellevue lands a famous, big-name hot-pot spot and 42 other new openings around the Seattle area