I consider it a blessing, a public service really, that King’s Hardware bar sells wings for 27 cents only once a week.
No one would go home, otherwise. And thank goodness there’s no TV for “Monday Night Football,” or it would turn into a wing-eating marathon from kickoff through SportsCenter.
The Ballard bar already goes through 1,000 wings every Monday — and twice that on summer nights. Monday’s 27-cent deal isn’t listed on the menu, nor on the King’s Hardware webpage. The regulars just know. They order by the dozens, even holding eating contests, washed down with $2 happy-hour Olympia beer.
King’s Hardware is a dive bar. It’s owned by Linda Derschang, so of course there’s wall-to-wall taxidermy. She, more than anyone else, is responsible for that “wilderness chic” décor that’s so popular here.
Most Read Life Stories
- Better than Din Tai Fung? There's a new king in the Greater Seattle soup dumpling race.
- Need a vacation? Choose your own adventure from these 35 weekend getaways
- Looking for an Eastside waterfront hangout? Try Bellevue's Meydenbauer Bay Park | Seattle Sketcher
- The 4 best sandwiches around Seattle that restaurant critic Tan Vinh has had this month
- Kirkland's DERU Market is exactly the kind of restaurant our new neighborhood food writer hopes to discover in the Greater Seattle area
Derschang offers some of the city’s cheapest happy hours and specials at all her bars — including a fine burger and can of Hamm’s beer for $4 every Tuesday at King’s Hardware. But the 27-cent wings might be her best deal.
You can order them with either hot sauce or whatever the sauce-of-the week is. Last Valentine’s Day, the special was a honey-garlic sauce, “just to complicate that Monday night romance,” a staffer said.
The wings aren’t as plump as some, but they’re free of antibiotics and hormones. Sometimes they’re crispy, other times not so much. But at 27 cents, I won’t quibble.
King’s Hardware, 5225 Ballard Ave. N.W., offers happy hour daily 4-7 p.m. with $2 Olympia beer, $7 for a pitcher; $3 for other beers on tap and $10 for a pitcher; $3 well drinks and $6.50 for three sliders and $1 off on burgers (206-782-0027 or www.kingsballard.com).
Tan Vinh: 206-515-5656 or email@example.com. On Twitter @tanvinhseattle