What’s it like to be one of America’s hottest chefs? A rundown of a typically atypical, very busy day leading up to the James Beard Awards.

Share story

Edouardo Jordan looks like he’s sitting pretty with his wildly successful Seattle restaurants Salare and JuneBaby, plus a stack of awards with more, possibly, on the way. (He’ll find out if his life’s work is honored with the industry’s biggest — the James Beard Awards — on Monday.) But the reality is that as a hands-on chef/owner (he and his team laughingly debate the term “control freak”), he’s rarely sitting.

6:30 a.m.: Time to get up.

7 a.m.: Time to get his 4-year-old son up, then breakfast — scrambled eggs, as requested, plus leftover paella from Tarsan i Jane — then to school. (Jordan was married for nine years, but now co-parents: “We were just walking different paths.”)

9:30-noon: A trip to Home Depot for restaurant needs; a stop for balloons for JuneBaby’s anniversary, which happens to be today; a drive to Bellevue to get his tuxedo tailored for the James Beard Awards gala.

Noon-2 p.m.: “Putting out fires” at both restaurants: No roux has been made at JuneBaby (“That’s like a brain fart”), an oven’s going bad, a 16-top at Salare will require a tasting menu, etc., etc.

2 p.m.: One of innumerable laps between Salare and JuneBaby, two blocks, to pick up some checks. He estimates he clocks at least 2 miles a day this way: “I’m nonstop-ish.” He has walked into dogs while checking email on his phone.

2:13 p.m.: Back at Salare: “Welcome to my office,” a table temporarily covered with messy stacks of papers, letters, ledgers, a laptop. Writing checks, paying the IRS, finessing the oven warranty, a call from his sister/business partner. Conducts interview with reporter (me). Phone chimes approximately every four minutes.

3:21 p.m.: Waters garden in front of Salare, using stinky liquid fish fertilizer. “It doesn’t really feed the restaurant, but it garnishes the restaurant.”

3:33 p.m.: Hones knife in Salare’s kitchen, starts making avocado crema for the staff meal/party later (duck tacos, Kobe beef hot dogs, burgers). Tries to worm out of a team member whether they’re considering a job at The French Laundry.

3:55 p.m.: “Uh oh, we gotta go.” Back to JuneBaby, pre-service staff meeting with applause for one year. But: housemade hot-sauce bottles too empty, not good. Education about millet to share with customers. How much he loves — how to sell — the boiled peanuts: “This is home for me.” Debate about wild ramps. Socratic method employed. Encouragement: “Let’s keep on walking the walk on the right path. And I plan to celebrate with you guys tonight, so let’s break down as fast as we can!”

4:32 p.m.: Leaves JuneBaby, leans back in: “Shake these rugs out here!”

4:35 p.m.: Up to his apartment, above Salare, where the staff party will be. Walks his dog, Doubter, a boxer. “He loves me!”

4:47 p.m.: Back at Salare, taste-tests a baby artichoke, Castelvetrano olive, clementine salad for tasting menu — needs more acid.

4:50 p.m.: More staff meal/party prep in Salare’s back kitchen, etc.

6:11 p.m.: Cooking on the line at Salare, though he said he wouldn’t be.

6:30 p.m.: Selfies with private party, presentation of tasting menu.

7 p.m.-?: More Salare, more JuneBaby, more party prep upstairs and downstairs, etc., etc. “We’ll probably call it at one a.m. [laughs] Or later. To do it all again!”