A surprising number of high-end makeup brands are offering new takes on this potentially polarizing product.
Blue mascara may bring to mind big hair and shoulder pads, but a surprising number of high-end makeup brands are offering new takes on this potentially polarizing product.
And many come in nuanced shades that, arguably, have a broader appeal than in the past.
“It’s got a bit of a stigma, like blue eye shadow,” says Peter Philips, creative and image director of Christian Dior Makeup. “But we’ve learned from our mistakes and know how to wear it now.”
Blue mascara and eye shadow used to be worn to make your eyes look blue. “That was the principle,” Philips says. “Now you do it with any eye color. It can make your eyes look really beautiful.”
Most Read Stories
- Armed man attacking Tacoma's ICE detention center killed in officer-involved shooting
- Friday earthquakes on a crustal fault show it's not only the 'Big One' we should fear
- Review: Queen + Adam Lambert conquer Tacoma Dome with blockbuster panache on Rhapsody tour
- Woman fatally stabbed in Cal Anderson Park
- Driver hits 7-year-old on sidewalk, crashes into power pole in Magnolia
Some of the new blues are more intense than others. Tom Ford and Givenchy recently introduced teal mascaras that are comparatively subtle and quite elegant. Dior and Givenchy have more traditional cobalts that are best suited to evenings.
The most wearable new blues are darker, in inky navy. “It’s a very versatile color,” says Fulvia Farolfi, a makeup artist affiliated with Chanel. “It’s good for both dark and light eyes since it’s borderline black.”
Here’s more on the blue shades worth considering:
1. Tom Ford Extreme Mascara ($44 at Nordstrom). This popular mascara comes in a vivid teal, as well as an eggplant purple, both introduced in March.
2. Chanel Le Volume de Chanel ($32) and Cils Scintillants (price not yet available). In September, Chanel will introduce a deep blue mascara and a bright turquoise “mascara topcoat.”
3. Lancôme Grandiôse Mascara ($32 at department stores). In May, Lancôme introduced richly colored versions of its Grandiôse Mascara: two shades of blue, as well as violet and brown.
4. Guerlain Maxi Lash ($30 at Sephora). Guerlain’s new blue comes in elegant Deco-ish silver packaging.
5. Dior Diorshow ($27.50 at Sephora). Dior just introduced a new version of its mascara in four shades, including a vivid blue.
6. Givenchy Noir Couture Volume Mascara ($33) andPhenomen’Eyes Waterproof Mascara ($31, both at Sephora). Givenchy recently reformulated its mascaras, including two blues.
7. YSL Beauté Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils ($32 at Nordstrom). YSL colors include two shades, a bright purple and a deep plum.