Whether it's mounted to the countertop or the wall, a pot-filler faucet near the kitchen stove offers easy access to cold water.

Share story

Q: I’m remodeling my kitchen and plan to make it my dream kitchen with all the home chef extras. While in the rough plumbing stage, I want to make provisions for a pot-filler faucet next to the stove. Since I’ve never had a pot filler, what choices do I have, and are all pot fillers installed the same way?

A: A pot filler is a great kitchen accessory. These tall cold-water faucets are installed at the stovetop and swing over the pot to easily fill it with water.

With pot fillers, you have two basic choices for installation.

Deck mounted. This style of faucet mounts on the countertop and has an extra-high swinging spout that is tall enough to clear the rim of a big pot.

Wall mounted. This type usually requires a little more work to install, but it’s less noticeable than the deck-mounted style. With a wall-mounted pot filler, a high spout swings out from the wall area behind the stove.


Ed Del Grande is a master plumber and contractor and is the author of the book “Ed Del Grande’s House Call.” Send questions to eadelg@cs.com.