How to make a small space look and feel bigger.
In a small room, there’s a desire to make every bit of space count. But how do you get the most out of small spaces? Here are some key tips to keep in mind.
1. Create a floor plan. In many instances, the key to a successful space is proper planning. Moving furniture around in unexpected ways on a plan is easier than in real life.
2. Don’t overstuff. When looking to keep a space open, less is more. Be sure not to overstuff a space with too much furniture.
3. Make a space feel brighter with color. Small spaces are often dark, and in many cases simply adding bright colors such as orange and yellow, or even pastels, can help make a space brighter.
4. Consider white. Remember that white is a color and can be used as an accent to help make a space feel bigger.
5. Use mirrors. Use mirrors alone, in a grouping or in a series to make small rooms instantly feel larger.
6. Purchase furniture of the proper size and scale. In smaller spaces, furniture that is smaller in scale will help create a more successful space.
7. Look for ways to incorporate transparent surfaces. Glass or transparent surfaces add a sense of weightlessness and work especially well in small rooms. Work it into one or two furniture pieces.
8. Experiment with shapes. Round tables allow for more circulation and movement than rectangular ones.
9. Consider a neutral color palette. From white and taupe to soft gray, lighter colors can help make small rooms feel soothing and appealing.
10. Determine function. Deciding a clear purpose for your small space will go a long way in selecting the appropriate furnishings.