Q: I live in a condo with common water feed lines. I’ve been thinking about installing a filter setup for my cooking and drinking water. Even though I’m on a group water feed system, is it possible to install a private water filter in my unit?

A: In many cases, even if you share water feed lines, it’s possible to install a water filter setup called a point-of-use (POU) water filter. This type of filter system is typically installed under the kitchen sink by a licensed plumber using the cold water fixture valve as a tap-in point.

POU water filter systems can include a separate beverage faucet installed next to the kitchen sink faucet, for easy access to filtered drinking water. This arrangement lets you use your kitchen faucet for washing chores and the smaller beverage faucet for cooking and drinking water.

Different types of POU water filter systems are available from basic to advanced, depending on your needs. POU filters make a nice choice for single-family homes, too.

Call your building association and/or local inspectors to get the all-clear signal before installing your POU water filter.

Ed Del Grande is a master plumber, contractor and author. Send questions to eadelg@cs.com.