It’s the last day of January and, while it hasn’t been the brightest month, we can try to get a fresh start when February arrives on Saturday. There’s a lot to look forward to in February, including the Super Bowl, the Oscars and, if you’re lucky, a three-day weekend. Celebrate the new month with these events and activities.
Remember, many situations can cancel or cause schedule changes for events and outings, so always check before you go.
- Phish fans, if you haven’t heard already, bassist Mike Gordon is playing a solo show at The Showbox on Saturday. Amazingly, several venues around the city are having dance parties. Neumos is hosting two: “The Fresh Prince of Capitol Hill — A ’90s Hip Hop Dance Party” on Friday and “Bohemian Rhapsody — A Queen Inspired Dance Party” playing ’70s and ’80s music on Saturday. Nectar Lounge is celebrating nine years of its “Jai Ho! Bollywood Dance Party” on Saturday as well. For information on these events and more, checkout our nightlife listings.
- It’s the last weekend for the Seattle Boat Show. The Lunar New Year celebrations continue in Bellevue on Saturday. For more events this weekend and beyond, see our community calendar.
- Take a spontaneous trip to the mountains and save on lift tickets with the Fly Alaska, Ski Free deal.
- Prepare for the Oscars at Scarecrow Video, where film historian Lance Rhoades will discuss highlights and controversies from previous ceremonies and comment on the current nominees and issues.
- Take your chances with the revenge thriller “The Rhythm Section,” starring Blake Lively and Jude Law.
- Learn about the revolutionary Centralia-born choreographer Merce Cunningham in the stunning documentary “Cunningham.”
- Today through Feb. 6, SIFF Cinema Uptown will screen the 2020 Oscar-nominated animated and live-action shorts.
- For more movies opening this week, see our movie roundup.
Food and drink
- It’s Super Bowl Sunday this weekend and if you don’t care about sports, at least there’s always great snacks at the parties. Get some wingspo (that’s wing inspiration) for your get-together from our food critics who tried several around the city.
- For natural wines and snacks to go with them, head to Petite Soif on Beacon Hill.
- A new month means new streams. See what’s coming out this weekend and beyond.
- Awaken your inner Swiftie and stream Taylor Swift’s new documentary, “Miss Americana.” If TS isn’t your thing, there are plenty of other options including the second half of the final season of “BoJack Horseman.”
- Only have Netflix? Here’s everything coming to the streaming platform in February, including plenty of titles ready to go this weekend!
- Pick up a copy of “Brokeback Mountain,” if you haven’t already read it, to prepare for the second installment in Moira’s Book Club mini film series on Feb. 23.
- Is crime fiction your jam? Double-check that your door is locked, then cozy up with one of these titles.
Family event of the week
- Celebrate the return of the eagle to the Stillaguamish River at the Arlington-Stillaguamish Eagle Festival. Take a raft journey, go on a bird identification walk, see an extreme chain-saw sculpture show and more.
Recommended date night
- See Pacific Northwest Ballet’s take on the classic fairy tale “Cinderella.” Choreographed by Kent Stowell, the ballet opens tonight and runs through Feb. 9. If you find yourself admiring the dancers’ tiaras, you can thank milliner and craftsperson Terry Frank.
We want this to be a one-stop spot for you to come every week to help figure out your weekend plans. What would you like us to include in this experimental weekly feature? Do you have any other suggestions on how we could make this more useful? Tell us here.