Not sure what to do in between singing “Rain, Rain, Go Away” this weekend? We have a few suggestions. From the Seattle Boat Show to a winter getaway, there’s plenty of ways to not let the rain, well, rain on your parade.
Remember, many situations can cancel or cause schedule changes for events and outings, so always check before you go.
- See “Dance Nation,” a scorcher of a play about the 13-year-old girls (and one boy) of a preteen competitive dance squad. Think that sounds cute and fluffy? It isn’t. Their secret kingdom of tweendom is sweet and awkward at times — but can turn vicious and feral in an instant.
- Transport yourself to boat heaven at the Seattle Boat Show. With two locations, hundreds of seminars and several special attractions, there’s plenty to experience. On Friday, get classy at the Uncorked event and sip on wines from Washington and California as you shop and explore.
- Hear smooth R&B jams from Xavier Omär and local artist Parisalexa at The Showbox on Saturday. More music and comedy events this weekend and beyond can be found in our nightlife listings.
- Take a journey through the last 20 years of Korean history with one performer and three talking rice cookers in Jaha Koo’s “Cuckoo” at On the Boards.
- Hear from Carmen Maria Machado, author of “In the Dream House,” a memoir recounting a relationship that spiraled into abuse, at Town Hall.
- Take advantage of the cozy energy rain brings, grab a cup of coffee and stroll through Madison Books, a new addition to the old neighborhood of Madison Park. Sounds pretty nice, no?
- See the quest to award Air Force pararescue medic William Pitsenbarger a Medal of Honor in “The Last Full Measure,” with Sebastian Stan, Christopher Plummer and Samuel L. Jackson.
- Brighten up your mood with the chatty, convoluted fun of Guy Ritchie’s “The Gentleman,” starring Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnam and Henry Golding.
- Get spooked with “The Turning,” featuring “Stranger Things” star Finn Wolfhard.
Food and drink
- For tacos filled with juicy carnitas and crunchy tripas, or cow guts (don’t knock it ’till you try it!), zoom over to El Catrin in White Center.
- Craving a round of golf but the rain is getting in your way? Get your fix while staying dry, and sipping on happy-hour cocktails, at the new Lounge by Topgolf in Kirkland or the Forum Social House in Bellevue.
- If you find yourself in Edmonds this weekend, be sure to check out The MAR•KET and/or Bar Dojo for seafood and Asian fusion plates.
- Read the weekend away with these new paperback titles.
- Drown out the rain with some TV time. See what’s new on your favorite streaming services.
- Get ready for the Grammys this Sunday by learning about the local nominees, including children’s music artist and former Presidents of the United States of America frontman Chris Ballew (Caspar Babypants), Barry and Jeff Ament and, of course, Brandi Carlile. Follow along with us on Sunday for more coverage.
Family event of the week
- For ski trails, an excellent local coffee roaster, cozy lodging and more, head to Twisp for a wintry, weekend getaway. While there, be sure to check out the town’s accessible, sustainability-minded art.
Recommended date night
- Treat yourself to something sweet and visit Half and Half Doughnut Co. on Capitol Hill. If you need more convincing, it has a doughnut flavored with vanilla, espresso and caramel called the Marocchino. Enough said.
We want this to be a one-stop spot for you to come every week to help figure out your weekend plans. What would you like us to include in this experimental weekly feature? Do you have any other suggestions on how we could make this more useful? Tell us here.
This post has been updated to remove the Sammamish Lunar New Year Celebration scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 25., which has been canceled.