VIENNA (AP) — Opera star Vesselina Kasarova has been injured after two men tried to rob her and has canceled her appearances at an Austrian music festival.
A statement on the website of the festival in the alpine city of Innsbruck says the men tried to take Kasarova’s purse. It says the Bulgarian mezzo-soprano has since returned to her home in Switzerland.
The statement from the Innsbruck Festival of Ancient Music gives no details on Kasarova’s injuries but said her condition is “on the way to improvement.” State broadcaster ORF said she was attacked late Tuesday.
She had been cast as Fidalma in “Il matrimonio segreto” by Domenico Cimarosa. The role will now be sung by Loriana Castellano.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Fall Arts 2021 | Your guide to the Seattle area’s most interesting shows, concerts, exhibits and more
- Meet the Seattle-area flight attendant competing on this season of 'Survivor'
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- NY millionaire Robert Durst guilty of best friend’s murder
- 3 mysteries and more paperbacks to help you ease into fall