The University of Washington’s Meany Center for the Performing Arts (formerly UW World Series) announced 23 events, including four Northwest premieres and one West Coast debut.
The former UW World Series has a new name and a roster of new works in its 2016-17 season. The University of Washington’s Meany Center for the Performing Arts announced on Monday that it will host 23 events, including four Northwest premieres and one West Coast debut.
The center offers four subscription series — World Dance, World Music, International Chamber Music and President’s Piano Series — plus a holiday concert.
A few of the highlights:
• “Layla and Majnun,” based on a fifth-century Persian romantic poem, performed by the Mark Morris Dance Group with The Silk Road Ensemble. A Meany Center co-commission and Northwest premiere, it opens the season. (Oct. 6-8)
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Soundgarden on 30 years of ‘Badmotorfinger,’ the ‘weird science project’ that became a grunge classic
- Delayed Van Gogh show gets a new opening date in Seattle though still no location
- That magic moment 30 years ago when Nirvana and ‘Nevermind’ forever changed Seattle
- Seattle rapper Raz Simone threw a pop-up, drive-in concert at a Seattle Center parking lot. Here's how it went.
- Amor Towles follows 2 brothers on an epic road trip in fine new novel ‘The Lincoln Highway’
• The Northwest premiere of a work by British composer Mark Anthony Turnage, to be performed by the Emerson String Quartet, as part of a program that also features a guest appearance by pianist and UW professor Craig Sheppard. A Meany Center co-commission. (April 21, 2017)
• A flock of stellar pianists, including Joyce Yang (Nov. 3); Yefim Bronfman (April 18, 2017); and Kirill Gerstein (May 16, 2017).
• Tunisian singer/songwriter Emel Mathlouthi, known as the “voice of the Tunisian revolution” for her protest songs written during the December uprising of 2010, will make her Northwest debut. (May 13, 2017).
• Bluegrass/jazz/country composer and performer Mark O’Connor will appear at Meany during the holiday season, bringing along some of his family members for “An Appalachian Christmas.” (Dec. 15)
Discounted full-series subscriptions and “Choose Your Own” subscriptions are on sale now. Prices for full-series subscriptions begin at $146.
Tickets and info: 206-543-4880 or meanycenter.org.