LOS ANGELES (AP) — Steven Spielberg has cast an unknown 17-year-old from New Jersey to play Maria in his remake of “West Side Story.”
Deadline first reported Monday the director picked Rachel Zegler after auditioning more than 30,000 hopefuls.
The high school student from Clifton posted photos of herself and other cast members on Instagram as she expressed her gratitude. She says she never could imagine she’d get the role after playing Maria onstage a few summers ago.
Zegler wrote, “As a Colombian-American woman growing up in this day and age, strong roles like Maria are so important.”
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Soundgarden on 30 years of ‘Badmotorfinger,’ the ‘weird science project’ that became a grunge classic
- Delayed Van Gogh show gets a new opening date in Seattle
- That magic moment 30 years ago when Nirvana and ‘Nevermind’ forever changed Seattle
- Amor Towles follows 2 brothers on an epic road trip in fine new novel ‘The Lincoln Highway’
- Seattle rapper Raz Simone threw a pop-up, drive-in concert at a Seattle Center parking lot. Here's how it went.
Ansel Elgort has been cast as her love interest in the adaptation of the 1957 Broadway musical that retells “Romeo and Juliet” with New York street gangs.
Filming is set for this summer.