LOS ANGELES (AP) — Rappers Ty Dolla $ign and Pusha T are headlining a series of free concerts called the #SchoolsNotPrisons tour.
The tour begins Aug. 6 in Sacramento and is set to visit seven other California cities.
Organizers say the event is aimed at raising awareness of the costs of incarceration and encouraging young people to change the system through peaceful activism and political engagement.
Since 1980, the state has built 22 new prisons and increased corrections spending by 1,500 percent, according to Californians for Safety and Justice.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Seattle's Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik to host 'Jeopardy!' … for now. Is that the right call?
- Meet the Seattle-area flight attendant competing on this season of 'Survivor'
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- How to visit museums and more for free or for cheap in the Seattle area in fall 2021
- 8 terrific museum exhibits to see in the Seattle area in fall 2021
Other artists appearing on the tour include Ceci Bastida, John Forte, Gallant and La Santa Cecilia.