NEW YORK (AP) — Tom Petty will be honored as the MusiCares Person of the Year next year days before the Grammy Awards.
The Recording Academy announced Wednesday that Petty will receive the prestigious honor in Los Angeles on Feb. 10, 2017. Performers set to pay tribute to Petty will be announced at a later date.
Petty’s career includes inductions into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
Lionel Richie was this year’s MusiCares Person of the Year.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Soundgarden on 30 years of ‘Badmotorfinger,’ the ‘weird science project’ that became a grunge classic
- Delayed Van Gogh show gets a new opening date in Seattle
- Seattle rapper Raz Simone threw a pop-up, drive-in concert at a Seattle Center parking lot. Here's how it went.
- That magic moment 30 years ago when Nirvana and ‘Nevermind’ forever changed Seattle
- Seattle Arts Commission co-chairs resign citing Durkan's 'lack of process' in appointing a new acting ARTS director
The Grammy Awards will air live Feb. 12, 2017, from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.