The Tony-nominated Broadway star, who also appeared on ABC’s “Scandal,” will play the lead in “Man of La Mancha,” which opens this fall in Seattle.
Norm Lewis, the first black actor to lead “Phantom of the Opera” and who’s known to TV viewers as Sen. Edison Davis in ABC’s hit drama “Scandal,” is coming to the 5th Avenue Theatre stage this fall.
The Tony-nominated Lewis (“The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess”) will lend his lauded baritone to the role of Cervantes/Don Quixote in the 5th’s production of “Man of La Mancha.” The show runs Oct. 7-30. Allison Narver will direct.
“Man of La Mancha,” by Dale Wasserman, Joe Darion and Mitch Leigh, debuted in 1965 and went on to win five Tony Awards, including Best Musical. Its theme song, “The Impossible Dream,” is one of the most recognizable stage tunes ever written. “La Mancha” is a play-within-a-play, with “Don Quixote” author Miguel de Cervantes narrating the adventures of his hero while awaiting a hearing by the Spanish Inquisition.
Along with “Phantom,” Lewis’ extensive Broadway credits include “Sondheim on Sondheim,” “Les Misérables,” and “Miss Saigon.”
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Now streaming: 'A League of Their Own' on Prime Video, 'Day Shift' on Netflix and more
- How does the new 'A League of Their Own' TV show stack up against the movie?
- In HBO’s bizarre, hilarious ‘The Rehearsal,’ Nathan Fielder helps people prepare for real-life moments
- Emerald City Comic Con 2022 preview: Fan-favorite celebrities, new fandom niches and more
- Anne Heche in critical condition, on ventilator after crash
Joining Lewis will be Seattle theater veteran Don Darryl Rivera as Sancho and Nova Payton as Aldonza, last seen at the 5th in “A Night With Janis Joplin.” Actor/composer/writer Rivera is well-known to Seattle audiences of all ages through his work at Seattle Children’s, Taproot and Intiman theatres and his from-Seattle-to-Broadway role as Iago in “Disney’s Aladdin,” which got its start at the 5th. Brandon O’Neill, another “Aladdin” alum, will play Pedro in “La Mancha.”
More information: 5thavenue.org.