New DVD releases for Tuesday, May 12, include the Academy Award-winning Alzheimer’s drama “Still Alice” and the cyberthriller “Blackhat” starring Chris Hemsworth.
Releases for Tuesday, May 12, include “Still Alice,” whose female lead won an Oscar for best actress. Star ratings are by Seattle Times movie reviewers, freelancers or wire services. For full reviews, search the title at seattletimes.com. Release dates are subject to change.
★★★ “Still Alice” (PG-13): Julianne Moore won the best-actress Oscar for her role as a 50-year-old linguistics professor — with a long and happy marriage, three grown and stable children, and a lovely Manhattan home — who discovers she has early-onset Alzheimer’s disease. “And while it’s no surprise that Moore is so good,” says Seattle Times movie critic Moira Macdonald, “ ‘Still Alice’ has an unexpected trick up its sleeve: the sweetly gentle performance of Kristen Stewart, as Alice’s actress daughter Lydia. … Who would have thought that the sulky scion of ‘Twilight’ would deliver the first performance of 2015 that made this critic cry? She and Moore, together, will touch your heart.”
“Blackhat” (R): From director Michael Mann comes this cyberthriller that follows a convicted hacker (Chris Hemsworth) as he’s released from prison in order to help the FBI and a Chinese cyberdefense team track down an international-cybercrime network. Viola Davis and Tang Wei co-star.
TV and other releases
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Soundgarden on 30 years of ‘Badmotorfinger,’ the ‘weird science project’ that became a grunge classic
- Delayed Van Gogh show gets a new opening date in Seattle
- That magic moment 30 years ago when Nirvana and ‘Nevermind’ forever changed Seattle
- Amor Towles follows 2 brothers on an epic road trip in fine new novel ‘The Lincoln Highway’
- Seattle rapper Raz Simone threw a pop-up, drive-in concert at a Seattle Center parking lot. Here's how it went.
“Bob’s Burgers: The Complete Fourth Season”
“Murder in the First: The Complete First Season”
“Unforgettable: The Third Season”