NEW YORK (AP) — National Book Award winner Sherman Alexie — already a poet, novelist and short story writer — moves into a new realm with his first picture book set to be released in May 2016.
Illustrated by Caldecott Medal winner Yuyi Morales, “Thunder Boy Jr.,” published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, is about a boy who wants his own name instead of sharing his father’s.
The American Indian author is known for his works looking at the struggles of being American Indian and living on reservations in the U.S.
Alexie’s young-adult novel “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian” sold 1.5 million copies and won a National Book Award in 2007.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Former Washington resident Stephanie Land's bestselling memoir inspires Netflix series 'Maid'
- R&B superstar R. Kelly convicted in sex trafficking trial
- 'SNL' returning with all but one incumbent cast member
- Delayed Van Gogh show gets a new opening date in Seattle though still no location
- The mystery of the missing Van Gogh show: Seattle ticket holders' frustration grows