NEW YORK (AP) — Celebrities from music, film, fashion, sport and academia — including Samuel L. Jackson, Kenneth Cole, Jason Collins, America Ferrera, Salma Hayek, Quincy Jones, and Emilio and Gloria Estefan — have signed up to co-chair a two-day convention to celebrate diversity and unity.
The Rise Up as One event, scheduled for Oct. 14-15 at a location still being worked out, will have performances, talks and cultural expositions. A concert on Oct. 15 will be broadcast live on Univision Network and on Fusion.
Other co-chairs for the event include Henry Louis “Skip” Gates, Forest Whitaker, Junot Diaz, Nicolas Berggruen, T Bone Burnett, Ximena Caminos, Ava DuVernay, Don Graham, Dr. Henry Jenkins, Mia Maestro, Jonathan Olinger, Eduardo Padron, Residente and Robert Rodriguez.
More details are expected in the coming days.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Seattle native Jean Smart wins Emmy Award for lead actress in a comedy
- Fall Arts 2021 | Your guide to the Seattle area’s most interesting shows, concerts, exhibits and more
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- Seattle rapper Raz Simone threw a pop-up, drive-in concert at a Seattle Center parking lot. Here's how it went.
- AP PHOTOS: Elegance and whimsy mix at Venice Film Festival