NEW YORK (AP) — The annual BMI Latin Awards will honor Luis Fonsi not only for his mega smash “Despacito” but for the string of hits he’s racked up over two decades.
Fonsi is set to receive the BMI President’s Award on March 20 in Beverly Hills, California.
BMI says it is honoring Fonsi for being one of the “most influential” Latin music songwriters and also for his humanitarian work. The Puerto Rican singer was involved with helping the island after last year’s devastating hurricane.
“Despacito” was recently nominated for record and song of the year at the Grammys; it features Daddy Yankee, and Justin Bieber on the remix.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Alice in Chains to perform atop Space Needle among string of Seattle events
- 'Crazy Rich Asians' fans buy out theaters in pursuit of a #GoldOpen in Seattle and elsewhere
- Before she was queen: Remembering Aretha Franklin's first performances in Seattle
- 'Crazy Rich Asians' is a parallel Asian world of values I don’t recognize, but I hope it's a hit
- Now streaming: 'Avengers: Infinity War,' 'Disenchantment,' 'Nightmare Alley'