Ballard, Mountlake Terrace, and Roosevelt high schools' jazz bands will compete in this year's Essentially Ellington competition.
Mountlake Terrace High School’s jazz band is again returning to the Essentially Ellington High School Jazz Band Competition & Festival this year, this time joined by their counterparts at Roosevelt High School and Ballard High School.
Mountlake Terrace was a finalist in last year’s Essentially Ellington competition as well. Roosevelt, a former competition winner, had made the list of finalists every year since 1999, when the event was opened to schools west of the Mississippi, until last year. Ballard High was last a finalist in 2012.
The 15 finalists this year were chosen from a field of 109 bands across North America.
The finals take place May 10-12 at Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York City.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Bill Gates reveals his summer 2018 reading list
- ‘Show Dog’: A real dog of a movie | Movie review
- Reflective Paul Simon goes out on a high note, as farewell tour hits Seattle's KeyArena
- 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' review: Alden Ehrenreich disappoints as Han Solo
- Remembering Chris Cornell: The quiet cook at Ray’s Boathouse who became a rock god VIEW