Ballard, Mountlake Terrace, and Roosevelt high schools' jazz bands will compete in this year's Essentially Ellington competition.
Mountlake Terrace High School’s jazz band is again returning to the Essentially Ellington High School Jazz Band Competition & Festival this year, this time joined by their counterparts at Roosevelt High School and Ballard High School.
Mountlake Terrace was a finalist in last year’s Essentially Ellington competition as well. Roosevelt, a former competition winner, had made the list of finalists every year since 1999, when the event was opened to schools west of the Mississippi, until last year. Ballard High was last a finalist in 2012.
The 15 finalists this year were chosen from a field of 109 bands across North America.
The finals take place May 10-12 at Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York City.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Oscars 2019 poll: Our critic shares her predictions, what are yours?
- Now streaming: 'A Star Is Born,' 'Shoplifters,' 'Can You Ever Forgive Me?'
- The Academy is messing with its Oscars formula again. Is that a good thing? Our critic weighs in.
- If proven, Smollett allegations could be a 'career killer' VIEW
- 'Fighting With My Family' is a shaggily likable underdog wrestling tale WATCH