Ballard, Mountlake Terrace, and Roosevelt high schools' jazz bands will compete in this year's Essentially Ellington competition.
Mountlake Terrace High School’s jazz band is again returning to the Essentially Ellington High School Jazz Band Competition & Festival this year, this time joined by their counterparts at Roosevelt High School and Ballard High School.
Mountlake Terrace was a finalist in last year’s Essentially Ellington competition as well. Roosevelt, a former competition winner, had made the list of finalists every year since 1999, when the event was opened to schools west of the Mississippi, until last year. Ballard High was last a finalist in 2012.
The 15 finalists this year were chosen from a field of 109 bands across North America.
The finals take place May 10-12 at Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York City.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Alice in Chains to perform atop Space Needle among string of Seattle events
- 'Crazy Rich Asians' fans buy out theaters in pursuit of a #GoldOpen in Seattle and elsewhere
- Before she was queen: Remembering Aretha Franklin's first performances in Seattle
- 'Crazy Rich Asians' is a parallel Asian world of values I don’t recognize, but I hope it's a hit
- Review: 'Crazy Rich Asians' reminds us what a gift a joyful rom-com can be WATCH