Dinesh D’Souza (“2016: Obama’s America”) co-wrote, co-directed and is the centerpiece of this rambling, paranoid “documentary” about the Democratic Party’s alleged con game on America. Rated ½ star out of 4.
In 2012, Dinesh D’Souza, the right-wing conspiracy theorist, released his film “2016: Obama’s America,” a propaganda blast arguing Barack Obama has personal reasons for weakening America. D’Souza was convicted two years ago of making illegal political contributions.
His latest diatribe is “Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party,” which begins with D’Souza claiming his eight-month sentence was dictated by a vengeful president.
In “Clinton,” D’Souza says conversations with fellow inmates, crudely reenacted, led him to suddenly realize the Democratic Party is one big con on America. How? Because, as he contends through dramatizations that are agitating rather than well-reasoned, Abraham Lincoln, a Republican, fought to emancipate slaves while Southern Democrats resisted and kept African Americans disenfranchised for generations.
Movie Review ½
‘Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party,’ Written and directed by Dinesh D’Souza and Bruce Schooley. Rated PG-13 for some intense scenes. 104 minutes. Alderwood, Southcenter.
Thus, he says, today’s real social-justice party is the GOP.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- To reduce tourist rush hour, Leavenworth makes changes to annual Christmas lights festival
- Here’s why flawed hit ‘Sex and the City’ is still a worthwhile watch
- Sandbox Percussion's epic concert of Northwest composer Andy Akiho's 'Seven Pillars' features metal pipes, a cigar box and more
- Ticket alert: Foo Fighters announce Seattle T-Mobile Park stop of Live in North America 2022 tour
- Seattle's Julian Priester helped create jazz as we know it. Now he’s teaching the art of listening
D’Souza ignores the 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1965 Voting Rights Act, which sent white Southern conservatives fleeing to the Republicans. But as a filmmaker, he stokes paranoia and rage by depicting highly emotional, scripted scenes of abuse toward slaves and injudicious use of debunked Planned Parenthood “sting” video.
D’Souza manipulates viewers’ passions while telling them who to blame for their bile.
As for Hillary, D’Souza asserts she wants to nationalize all our industries and steal all our money. His lack of evidence undercuts his message.