BERLIN (AP) — Christian Bale says transforming himself into former Vice President Dick Cheney made him feel “like a bullfrog.”
Bale has been nominated for a best actor Oscar for his part in “Vice,” which also has best movie and best director nominations. He and director Adam McKay presented the movie Monday at the Berlin International Film Festival, where it is screening out of competition.
Asked how he felt in Cheney’s body, which required an impressive physical transformation, Bale replied: “Like a bullfrog. Or sometimes he’s been described as a walrus.”
He added: “I built up my neck so I felt like I could take anything … I just felt like a bulldozer all day long.”
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- The Academy is messing with its Oscars formula again. Is that a good thing? Our critic weighs in.
- Oscars 2019 poll: Our critic shares her predictions, what are yours?
- A closer look at three National Book Critics Circle finalists VIEW
- Now streaming: 'A Star Is Born,' 'Shoplifters,' 'Can You Ever Forgive Me?'
- Here’s 'Romeo and Juliet' like you’ve never seen it, with the star-crossed lovers bridging the gap between American Sign Language and English
Bale said of the role that “it’s lovely to have a challenge … it seemed almost impossible.”