NEW YORK (AP) — The supersized superhero hit “Avengers: Infinity War” has crossed $2 billion in worldwide ticket sales, becoming only the fourth film to reach that rarified box-office milestone.
The Walt Disney Co. announced Tuesday that “Infinity War” reached the mark Monday, about seven weeks after opening. The only other movies in the $2 billion club are “Avatar,” ”Titanic” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”
“Infinity War” currently ranks as the fifth highest-grossing film in the U.S. and Canada with $656.1 million thus far. Its $257.7 million domestic opening weekend set a new record. The Marvel release has done just as well overseas. In China, the film’s $369.7 million gross to date ranks third all-time.
An “Avengers” sequel to “Infinity War” is scheduled to be released in May of next year.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Alice in Chains to perform atop Space Needle among string of Seattle events
- Review: 'Crazy Rich Asians' reminds us what a gift a joyful rom-com can be WATCH
- 'Crazy Rich Asians' is a parallel Asian world of values I don’t recognize, but I hope it's a hit
- 'Crazy Rich Asians' fans buy out theaters in pursuit of a #GoldOpen in Seattle and elsewhere
- New on HBO in August 2018: 'Three Billboards,' 'Darkest Hour,' 'Random Acts of Flyness'