NEW YORK (AP) — Woody Allen has an unlikely new female star: Miley Cyrus.
Cyrus will star in Allen’s not-yet-titled Amazon series, a spokeswoman for Cyrus confirmed. The head-spinning casting combines the 80-year-old filmmaker with the 23-year-old former Disney star.
Cyrus will star alongside Elaine May in the six half-hour episodes planned to run this year.
On Instagram, Cyrus posted a painting of Allen that she said had been beside her bed for years. Cyrus wrote that she was “looking into his eyes when I got the call to be a part of the cast.”
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- The mystery of the missing Van Gogh show: Seattle ticket holders' frustration grows
- 'East of the Mountains' review: Tom Skerritt shines as an ill man journeying home from Seattle
- Now streaming: sci-fi epic 'Foundation,' 'The Wonder Years' revival, 'F9' and more
- That magic moment 30 years ago when Nirvana and ‘Nevermind’ forever changed Seattle
- Better Business Bureau warns consumers about upcoming Van Gogh event in Seattle
Allen has previously voiced regrets about his first foray into streaming television. At the Cannes Film Festival in May he called it “a catastrophic mistake.”