Kensington Palace said Thursday that Meghan, the duchess of Sussex, will take over two roles as patron that have for decades been held by Queen Elizabeth II and is taking two other roles as well.
LONDON — Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, is taking an increasingly visible role in the British royal family as she becomes the patron of four organizations including the prestigious National Theatre.
Kensington Palace said Thursday that Meghan will take over two roles as patron that have for decades been held by Queen Elizabeth II and is taking two other roles as well.
The palace says the queen “has passed on” the role of patron of the National Theatre and the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
In addition, Meghan will become patron of two additional charities: Smart Works, which helps vulnerable women find the skills needed to work, and Mayhew, a grassroots organization active in London and internationally.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Meet the Seattle-area flight attendant competing on this season of 'Survivor'
- NY millionaire Robert Durst guilty of best friend’s murder
- 'A big gray elephant': Paris' Arc de Triomphe is wrapped up
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- Netflix's 'The Queen's Gambit' said the first female grandmaster 'never faced men.' Now she's suing.
Meghan and her husband Prince Harry are expecting their first child this spring.