NEW YORK (AP) — Comedian Martin Short and dancer Derek Hough have leapt aboard the cast of NBC’s “Hairspray Live!” on Dec. 7.
The duo will join Jennifer Hudson and Harvey Fierstein in the TV musical based on the cult John Waters movie.
Short will play the husband of Edna Turnblad, played by a cross-dressing Fierstein, who is also writing the teleplay.
Set in 1960s Baltimore, the show concerns the full-figured Tracy Turnblad whose fondest wish is to appear on a local television dance program. Hough will play the TV host Corny Collins.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Seattle's Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik to host 'Jeopardy!' … for now. Is that the right call?
- How to visit museums and more for free or for cheap in the Seattle area in fall 2021
- 8 terrific museum exhibits to see in the Seattle area in fall 2021
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- Official: Reality TV star sentenced for Ponzi scheme, fraud
The new live musical will be directed for TV by Alex Rudzinski, who helmed “Grease Live!” Kenny Leon will direct the stage show.
Hough won two Emmys for choreographing “Dancing With the Stars.” Short has won a Tony and two Emmys.