BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — After two seasons of teasing viewers about whether it would happen, Mariah Carey has set a date to guest star on Fox’s “Empire.”
Carey will appear on the Oct. 5 episode, the network confirmed Monday at a TV critics bi-annual press tour.
She will play a superstar singer named Kitty, who collaborates with Jussie Smollett’s character, Jamal Lyon, on a new song. Lyon has a creative block until Kitty helps him deal with some personal issues to make the song work.
“Mariah loves the show” and has long made a point of sharing her passion for it when they have met at events, said Dana Walden, chairman and CEO of the Fox Television Group.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Former Washington resident Stephanie Land's bestselling memoir inspires Netflix series 'Maid'
- R&B superstar R. Kelly convicted in sex trafficking trial
- 'SNL' returning with all but one incumbent cast member
- Delayed Van Gogh show gets a new opening date in Seattle though still no location
- The mystery of the missing Van Gogh show: Seattle ticket holders' frustration grows
Carey filmed the episodes last week, Walden said.
Other guest stars confirmed for season three, which debuts Sept. 21, include actor Taye Diggs and rapper French Montana.