ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — Although he might have been one in spirit, Johnny Depp is now a Disney Legend in title too. The actor made a surprise appearance at Disney’s D23 Expo, a fan convention, to accept the honor from Disney CEO Bob Iger on Friday.
Depp has starred in Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean” series as Captain Jack Sparrow as well as their live-action “Alice in Wonderland” as the Mad Hatter.
The actor said that he doesn’t like the words “fan” or “legend” but thanked the 7,500 audience members for giving him the “opportunity to do stupid stuff for a living.”
Other 2015 Disney Legends inductees included “Star Wars” creator George Lucas and composer Danny Elfman, who were previously announced.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Review: Lizzo shines at highly anticipated 2019 Capitol Hill Block Party performance VIEW
- Laine Hardy and 'American Idol' finalists electrify crowd at Museum of Flight's moon landing 50th anniversary concert
- Seattle's Intiman Theatre tries a radical experiment, giving away every ticket for free
- Capitol Hill celebrates summer at Block Party 2019 VIEW
- 'The Lion King' review: Hail to Disney's powerful, visually stunning remake WATCH
D23, now in its fourth year, runs through Sunday.