ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — Although he might have been one in spirit, Johnny Depp is now a Disney Legend in title too. The actor made a surprise appearance at Disney’s D23 Expo, a fan convention, to accept the honor from Disney CEO Bob Iger on Friday.
Depp has starred in Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean” series as Captain Jack Sparrow as well as their live-action “Alice in Wonderland” as the Mad Hatter.
The actor said that he doesn’t like the words “fan” or “legend” but thanked the 7,500 audience members for giving him the “opportunity to do stupid stuff for a living.”
Other 2015 Disney Legends inductees included “Star Wars” creator George Lucas and composer Danny Elfman, who were previously announced.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Fall Arts 2021 | Your guide to the Seattle area’s most interesting shows, concerts, exhibits and more
- Meet the Seattle-area flight attendant competing on this season of 'Survivor'
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- NY millionaire Robert Durst guilty of best friend’s murder
- 3 mysteries and more paperbacks to help you ease into fall
D23, now in its fourth year, runs through Sunday.