ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — Although he might have been one in spirit, Johnny Depp is now a Disney Legend in title too. The actor made a surprise appearance at Disney’s D23 Expo, a fan convention, to accept the honor from Disney CEO Bob Iger on Friday.
Depp has starred in Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean” series as Captain Jack Sparrow as well as their live-action “Alice in Wonderland” as the Mad Hatter.
The actor said that he doesn’t like the words “fan” or “legend” but thanked the 7,500 audience members for giving him the “opportunity to do stupid stuff for a living.”
Other 2015 Disney Legends inductees included “Star Wars” creator George Lucas and composer Danny Elfman, who were previously announced.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- 2018 Washington State Book Award winners include a former Seattle Times reporter
- 'First Man' and 8 other movies open Oct. 12; our reviewers weigh in
- South Lake Union will become the U.S. test site for a European art craze with Borealis, a Festival of Light
- Now streaming: 'Black Panther,' 'Hereditary,' 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?'
- Kim Thayil talks Soundgarden's future, playing with rebooted MC5 — his 'favorite band ever'
D23, now in its fourth year, runs through Sunday.