NEW YORK (AP) — Jake Gyllenhaal and Annaleigh Ashford will star in a Broadway revival of the musical “Sunday in the Park with George.”
The Academy Award nominee from “Brokeback Mountain” and the Tony Award-winner for “You Can’t Take It With You” will appear in the Stephen Sondheim-James Lapine show starting in February.
The musical imagines what the late 19th-century French painter Georges Seurat went through to create his pointillist masterpiece, “A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.”
The musical will be the first show in 50 years at the Hudson Theatre, which is being renovated into Broadway’s 41st theater. The Hudson sits just off Times Square — east of Broadway on 44th Street — and has been a burlesque house, a movie theater and an event space in recent years.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Seattle rapper Raz Simone threw a pop-up, drive-in concert at a Seattle Center parking lot. Here's how it went.
- Joie Des Livres brings life and culture to Seabrook, a tiny, new Olympic Peninsula beach town
- That magic moment 30 years ago when Nirvana and ‘Nevermind’ forever changed Seattle
- Amor Towles follows 2 brothers on an epic road trip in fine new novel ‘The Lincoln Highway’
- Delayed Van Gogh show gets a new opening date in Seattle though still no location