A movie review of “Insidious: Chapter 3”: This prequel focuses on how psychic Elise Rainier (Lin Shaye) was able to face her own demons to be able to help others. Rating: 3 stars out of 4.
It’s very important to note that the rating for “Insidious: Chapter 3” is PG-13, which means that director/writer Leigh Whannell has structured his movie to be scary without having to rely on gore. Audiences have become so desensitized to blood and guts that horror movies now have to be smarter. And that makes them better.
The film is the third in the series, but it goes back in time before the haunting of the Lambert family that made up the first two offerings. This is the story of how psychic Elise Rainier (Lin Shaye) was able to face her own demons to be able to help others.
Quinn Brenner (Stefanie Scott) is a teen dealing with a lot of pain and sorrow after the death of her mother. An attempt to speak through the shroud of death turns into an invitation for a demon to haunt the young girl.
Movie Review ★★★
‘Insidious: Chapter 3,’ with Lin Shaye, Stefanie Scott. Written and directed by Leigh Whannell. 97 minutes. Rated PG-13 for language, violence, frightening images. Several theaters.
Shaye is strong as the psychic who is a force in the battle.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Seattle's Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik to host 'Jeopardy!' … for now. Is that the right call?
- Meet the Seattle-area flight attendant competing on this season of 'Survivor'
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- How to visit museums and more for free or for cheap in the Seattle area in fall 2021
- 8 terrific museum exhibits to see in the Seattle area in fall 2021
“Chapter 3” is a fun and chilling creep show. The fact that it’s a prequel means that you can jump into the series with this movie and then get caught up with the first two.