SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Illinois officials say a concert in Springfield that was to be hosted by R. Kelly cannot take place in the wake of new sexual misconduct allegations against the R&B star.
Illinois Department of Agriculture spokeswoman Denise Albert told the Chicago Tribune that the application for the Spring Break Jam in April was denied Thursday because of security concerns following protests outside Kelly’s Chicago studio this week.
Kelly has been under fire since the recent airing of a Lifetime documentary “Surviving R. Kelly .” He has denied all allegations of sexual misconduct involving women and underage girls.
A tip that Kelly was holding two women against their will prompted Chicago police to visit his residence Friday in Chicago’s Trump Tower. Officers interviewed Kelly and the women but found no evidence of wrongdoing.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- New on Netflix in December 2019: 'Marriage Story,' '6 Underground,' 'The Two Popes'
- Ahamefule J. Oluo’s earlier show played off-Broadway. Now he’s back with 'Susan,' a new show about his mom.
- New on Amazon in December 2019: 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,' 'The Expanse,' 'The Aeronauts'
- Can't wait for 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker'? Get ready with these Seattle-area events.
- Now streaming: 'Marriage Story,' 'Ready or Not,' 'The Goldfinch,' 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel'