NEW YORK (AP) — Jennifer Hudson and Harvey Fierstein will headline the cast of NBC’s “Hairspray Live!” on Dec. 7.
Based on the cult John Waters movie set in 1960s Baltimore, the show concerns the full-figured Tracy Turnblad whose fondest wish is to appear on a local television dance program.
Hudson, who will play Motormouth Maybelle, is currently in the Broadway revival of “The Color Purple.” She won an Oscar and Golden Globe in 2007 in the hit film “Dreamgirls.”
Fierstein, who is also writing the teleplay, will cross-dress and play Edna Turnblad, Tracy’s mother, a role he created and won a Tony Award for in the stage version of “Hairspray.”
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Seattle's Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik to host 'Jeopardy!' … for now. Is that the right call?
- Meet the Seattle-area flight attendant competing on this season of 'Survivor'
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- How to visit museums and more for free or for cheap in the Seattle area in fall 2021
- 8 terrific museum exhibits to see in the Seattle area in fall 2021
The new live musical will be directed for TV by Alex Rudzinski, who helmed “Grease Live!” Kenny Leon will direct the stage show.