NEW YORK (AP) — Tony- and Grammy-winner Heather Headley will replace Jennifer Hudson in Broadway’s current revival of “The Color Purple.”
Hudson, who plays Shug Avery in the musical, will play her last performance on May 8. Headley takes over two days later at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre.
Headley’s credits include “The Lion King” and playing the diva in “The Bodyguard” musical in London. Her CDs include “This Is Who I Am,” ”Audience of One” and “Only One In The World.”
The musical is a stage version of Alice Walker’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel set in rural Georgia that covers a lifetime of events observed by Celie, a homely, uneducated farm woman whose dreams are repeatedly shattered by the cruelty of males.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Soundgarden on 30 years of ‘Badmotorfinger,’ the ‘weird science project’ that became a grunge classic
- Delayed Van Gogh show gets a new opening date in Seattle though still no location
- That magic moment 30 years ago when Nirvana and ‘Nevermind’ forever changed Seattle
- Seattle rapper Raz Simone threw a pop-up, drive-in concert at a Seattle Center parking lot. Here's how it went.
- Amor Towles follows 2 brothers on an epic road trip in fine new novel ‘The Lincoln Highway’