BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Sean Hayes and Rosie O’Donnell are joining the cast of NBC’s “Hairspray Live!”
Hayes will take on the role of dress shop owner Mr. Pinky, while O’Donnell will play a tough gym teacher in the production set to air in December, the network said Tuesday.
They join a cast that represents a “slew” of Oscar, Emmy and Tony award winners, said Robert Greenblatt, NBC Entertainment chairman. That includes Harvey Fierstein, reprising his Tony Award-winning role as Edna Turnblad in the Broadway production that premiered in 2004.
The musical also stars Kristin Chenoweth, Jennifer Hudson, Derek Hough, Martin Short and pop star Ariana Grande, who told a TV critics’ meeting that she didn’t want more solos than the part provides.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- The mystery of the missing Van Gogh show: Seattle ticket holders' frustration grows
- 'East of the Mountains' review: Tom Skerritt shines as an ill man journeying home from Seattle
- How John Coltrane's Seattle recording of 'A Love Supreme' was found, thanks to 2 local saxophonists
- Better Business Bureau warns consumers about upcoming Van Gogh event in Seattle
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
“It’s a dream come true for me. … I love Penny and it’s a great honor to play her, so I don’t want any special icing,” Grande said.
Hudson, who has gone from “American Idol” to movie and stage star, said she was “definitely nervous” about the prospect of working on live TV, and this after surviving her Broadway debut last year in “The Color Purple.”