NEW YORK (AP) — The New World School of the Arts from Miami has won Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Essentially Ellington high school jazz band competition.
The first-place trophy and a $5,000 award were presented to the Florida band by JALC Managing and Artistic Director Wynton Marsalis at Saturday night’s awards ceremony and concert at Frederick P. Rose Hall that also featured the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. Its members mentored the 15 finalist bands from across the country that performed repertoire made famous by Duke Ellington.
The Triangle Youth Jazz Ensemble from Raleigh, North Carolina, took second place. Third place went to the Tucson Jazz Ensemble from Arizona.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Meet the Seattle-area flight attendant competing on this season of 'Survivor'
- Fall Arts 2021 | Your guide to the Seattle area’s most interesting shows, concerts, exhibits and more
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- NY millionaire Robert Durst guilty of best friend’s murder
- 'A big gray elephant': Paris' Arc de Triomphe is wrapped up