R. Joseph Scott, who recently marked 16 years as conductor/music director of Sammamish Symphony Orchestra, has announced his retirement, citing health reasons.
Scott has spent nearly 50 years in the area classical music scene, having founded the Bellevue Philharmonic Orchestra — serving as its conductor and general manager from 1967-1997 — and serving as resident conductor of Lyric Opera Northwest.
The city of Sammamish awarded Scott the SAMMI Award for the Arts and Bellevue recognized him with a Bellevue Musical Arts Pioneer Award. He attended the University of Oregon School of Music.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Fall Arts 2021 | Your guide to the Seattle area’s most interesting shows, concerts, exhibits and more
- Meet the Seattle-area flight attendant competing on this season of 'Survivor'
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- NY millionaire Robert Durst guilty of best friend’s murder
- 3 mysteries and more paperbacks to help you ease into fall