R. Joseph Scott, who recently marked 16 years as conductor/music director of Sammamish Symphony Orchestra, has announced his retirement, citing health reasons.
Scott has spent nearly 50 years in the area classical music scene, having founded the Bellevue Philharmonic Orchestra — serving as its conductor and general manager from 1967-1997 — and serving as resident conductor of Lyric Opera Northwest.
The city of Sammamish awarded Scott the SAMMI Award for the Arts and Bellevue recognized him with a Bellevue Musical Arts Pioneer Award. He attended the University of Oregon School of Music.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- In less than a year, Seattle-Tacoma rapper Jay Loud went from homelessness to landing a record deal
- Did you know Seattle has a thriving sea-shanty scene? Get onboard with singalongs and shows
- 'Ford v Ferrari' review: Hold on for a thrilling ride with Christian Bale, Matt Damon WATCH
- 'The Irishman' review: Martin Scorsese's gangster epic masterfully unfolds WATCH
- 'We love you, Alex!' Contestant on 'Jeopardy!' moves Trebek