NEW YORK (AP) — A drum kit that Ringo Starr used to record some of the Beatles’ early hits has sold for $2.2 million at an auction to Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay.
Julien’s Auctions says Irsay bought the 1963 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl three-piece drum kit Friday at a sale in Beverly Hills, California. The two-day auction includes over 800 items owned by Ringo Starr and his wife, actress Barbara Bach.
Starr used the kit in more than 200 performances between May 1963 and February 1964. He also played it on recordings including “Can’t Buy Me Love,” ”She Loves You,” ”All My Loving” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand.”
The auction concludes Saturday. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the couple’s Lotus Children Foundation, which focuses on global social welfare issues.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Seattle native Jean Smart wins Emmy Award for lead actress in a comedy
- 'East of the Mountains' review: Tom Skerritt shines as an ill man journeying home from Seattle
- How John Coltrane's Seattle recording of 'A Love Supreme' was found, thanks to 2 local saxophonists
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- AP PHOTOS: Elegance and whimsy mix at Venice Film Festival