NEW YORK (AP) — Derek Hough will be stepping into the dancing shoes of Gene Kelly when he tackles a stage musical of the film “Singin’ in the Rain” on Broadway next year.
Stage and film producer Harvey Weinstein revealed the casting news at his annual pre-Oscar dinner on Saturday and The Weinstein Company confirmed the news Sunday.
Hough, a “Dancing With the Stars” veteran, memorably sang the musical’s title song last year with the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall in the show “New York Spring Spectacular.”
Based on MGM’s 1952 movie musical starring Kelly and Debbie Reynolds, the stage adaptation of “Singin’ in the Rain” has a book by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, and songs by Nacio Herb Brown and Arthur Freed.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- The mystery of the missing Van Gogh show: Seattle ticket holders' frustration grows
- 'East of the Mountains' review: Tom Skerritt shines as an ill man journeying home from Seattle
- Now streaming: sci-fi epic 'Foundation,' 'The Wonder Years' revival, 'F9' and more
- How John Coltrane's Seattle recording of 'A Love Supreme' was found, thanks to 2 local saxophonists
- Better Business Bureau warns consumers about upcoming Van Gogh event in Seattle