NEW YORK (AP) — Darren Criss, the former “Glee” star, had so much fun playing an East German transsexual on Broadway that he’s taking her on the road.
Criss will kick off a national tour of “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” in October at the SHN Golden Gate Theatre in San Francisco and the Hollywood Pantages Theatre in Los Angeles a month later. A new Hedwig will be announced later who will then lead a national tour.
Criss made his Broadway debut in 2012 as J. Pierrepont Finch in “How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying.” He was one of several Hedwigs who took over from Neil Patrick Harris on Broadway last year, including Andrew Rannells, Michael C. Hall and Taye Diggs.
Written by John Cameron Mitchell and composer Stephen Trask, “Hedwig” is a tale of obsession, glam rock, a botched sex-change operation and a quest for identity.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Seattle native Jean Smart wins Emmy Award for lead actress in a comedy
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- How John Coltrane's Seattle recording of 'A Love Supreme' was found, thanks to 2 local saxophonists
- List of Emmy winners includes Jean Smart, 'Ted Lasso' actors
- AP PHOTOS: Elegance and whimsy mix at Venice Film Festival
It was a cult hit off-Broadway and made into a 2001 film.