MILAN (AP) — Conductor Riccardo Muti’s official website says the conductor has undergone hip surgery in Italy following an accident.
The website said Wednesday that as a result the musical director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra cannot conduct concerts planned this month in Chicago. It said the accident was not serious, but provided no details.
The news agency ANSA reported that Muti underwent the surgery in the Italian city of Ravenna after a fall at home.
Muti, 74, had a pacemaker implanted five years ago after fainting during rehearsal in Chicago. Muti has just completed an Asian tour with stops in Taiwan, Japan, China and South Korea. He has been the Chicago symphony’s musical director since 2010.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Soundgarden on 30 years of ‘Badmotorfinger,’ the ‘weird science project’ that became a grunge classic
- Delayed Van Gogh show gets a new opening date in Seattle
- Seattle rapper Raz Simone threw a pop-up, drive-in concert at a Seattle Center parking lot. Here's how it went.
- Seattle Arts Commission co-chairs resign citing Durkan's 'lack of process' in appointing a new acting ARTS director
- That magic moment 30 years ago when Nirvana and ‘Nevermind’ forever changed Seattle