NEW YORK (AP) — Andrea Martin has jumped aboard the cast of NBC’s “Hairspray Live!” to play the mother of pop star Ariana Grande.
The Tony- and Emmy-winning comedian will join a lineup that also includes Harvey Fierstein, Kristin Chenoweth, Jennifer Hudson, Derek Hough, Martin Short, Sean Hayes and Rosie O’Donnell. It airs Dec. 7.
Based on the cult John Waters movie set in 1960s Baltimore, the show concerns the full-figured Tracy Turnblad whose fondest wish is to appear on a local television dance program.
Martin, the “SCTV” veteran who recently won a Tony Award in the Broadway revival of “Pippin,” will play the overprotective mother of Penny Pingleton (Grande), who is friends with Tracy.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Fall Arts 2021 | Your guide to the Seattle area’s most interesting shows, concerts, exhibits and more
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- Meet the Seattle-area flight attendant competing on this season of 'Survivor'
- Seattle rapper Raz Simone threw a pop-up, drive-in concert at a Seattle Center parking lot. Here's how it went.
- NY millionaire Robert Durst guilty of best friend’s murder
Martin is next set to co-star in NBC’s midseason comedy “Great News.”