The party will take over the block east of Denny Park and will feature music, food and steamrollers making posters.
The sidewalks in the South Lake Union neighborhood teem with traffic on a normal weekday, thanks to Amazon and other businesses, but the congestion will probably double or triple Friday (Aug. 12), when the 12th edition of the South Lake Union Block Party gets under way.
The TGIF shindig takes place on the block east of Denny Park bounded by Denny Way, Westlake Avenue North, John Street and Ninth Avenue North. In addition to live music, there will be food trucks, a beer garden, a “best burger in SLU” competition and a visual-arts contest involving steamrollers that print giant posters. The festival is free to the public.
Proceeds from food booths and other activities go to the Cascade Playground Activation Committee.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Former Washington resident Stephanie Land's bestselling memoir inspires Netflix series 'Maid'
- 'SNL' returning with all but one incumbent cast member
- R&B superstar R. Kelly convicted in sex trafficking trial
- Delayed Van Gogh show gets a new opening date in Seattle though still no location
- Meet the outspoken Puget Sound resident on CBS' 'Tough as Nails'
11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday, Aug. 12, 101 Westlake Ave. N., Seattle; (206-342-5900 or slublockparty.com).