James Patterson, author of the Alex Cross mystery series, is a prolific and wealthy writer. According to Wikipedia, he has sold an estimated 300 million books worldwide. In 2016, Patterson topped Forbes’ list of highest-paid authors for the third consecutive year, earning an estimated $95 million.
Patterson’s generous support of the cause of books and reading is legendary, and this Christmas he’s performed another Santa act – he’s given $250,000 in bonuses to 149 bookstore employees nationwide. Eight of those booksellers are in Washington state – congratulate these folks the next time you visit your local independent bookstore:
- Caitlin Luce Baker of Seattle’s University Book Store.
- Erin Ball of Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park.
- Kenny Coble of King’s Books in Tacoma.
- Madison Duckworth of Liberty Bay Books in Poulsbo.
- Kim Hooyboer of Seattle’s Elliott Bay Book Co.
- Emma Nichols of Elliott Bay.
- Sarah Hutton of Village Books in Bellingham.
- Victoria Irwin of the Eagle Harbor Book Co. on Bainbridge Island.