Nelson Algren was a Chicago-based literary writer best known for his novel “The Man With the Golden Arm.” Now there is a short-story contest named in his honor, run by the Chicago Tribune. There are cash prizes! But the deadline is tonight at midnight (Jan. 31).
The story length can go up to 8000 words. Prizes: $3,500 for winner, other amounts for four finalists and five- runners-up. No submission fee, and the judging process is blind.
Intrigued? Got a short story tucked away just dying to see the light? Go to https://algren.submittable.com/submit.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Oscars 2019 poll: Our critic shares her predictions, what are yours?
- Now streaming: 'A Star Is Born,' 'Shoplifters,' 'Can You Ever Forgive Me?'
- If proven, Smollett allegations could be a 'career killer' VIEW
- The Academy is messing with its Oscars formula again. Is that a good thing? Our critic weighs in.
- 'Fighting With My Family' is a shaggily likable underdog wrestling tale WATCH