Share story

Hugo House, Seattle’s center for writers, has announced its temporary location while its new Capitol Hill home is under construction. The center’s programming will primarily take place at a building owned by the Frye Art Museum.

Hugo House’s current home at at 1634 11th Ave. is scheduled to be demolished and replaced with a six-story, 124,000-square-foot, market-rate apartment building with 80-90 residential units, plus two levels of below-grade parking. The writing center will occupy about 10,300 feet on the ground floor.

Beginning in mid-2016, Hugo House’s public programs and offices will be based in a building owned by and adjacent to the Frye  at Boren Avenue and Columbia Street on First Hill.

Hugo House will operate a full schedule of readings, classes, author events, teen programs, and more at the Frye while its new building is being constructed. “Hugo House will continue to offer more than seventy classes per quarter in the Frye’s building, which was previously a multiple-occupant residence built by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Seattle and leased in recent years from the Frye,” according to a press release. Events will also take place at the Elliott Bay book Co. and the Sorrento Hotel.

“Hugo House at the Frye keeps us close to Capitol Hill, which is central for our students, teachers, and so many people who attend our events,” said Hugo House executive director Tree Swenson. “Visitors to our temporary home on First Hill will be pleased to find the same coziness and writerly atmosphere they’ve loved for years at the old Hugo House.”

Hugo House is scheduled to move back into its new home sometime in 2018.