Seattle's Center on Contemporary Art presents "Hybrid," an exhibit reflecting how the world is quickly fusing together, curated by Riko Nakasone, director and curator of the Bau-Xi Gallery in Vancouver, B.C. The artist reception will feature Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo and Seattle's National Poetry Slam Team Champions.
For a free art exhibit and spoken-word performance tonight, head over to Seattle’s Center on Contemporary Art.
Each year the gallery presents an annual showcase of work based on a single topic. This year the subject is “hybrid,” reflecting on how the world is quickly fusing together.
Riko Nakasone, director and curator of the Bau-Xi Gallery in Vancouver, B.C., selected and curated the works.
Along with the hybrid theme, tonight’s gallery reception will include a “hybrid of performance art,” said Lauren Collins, a CoCA board director, with artists Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo and Seattle’s National Poetry Slam team champions.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Art Outings: 2 Seattle Times writers experience (and sometimes endure) the dinner and antics of Teatro ZinZanni VIEW
- 'It's a sad day in Seattle': Hopper painting, others once promised to SAM, sold at skyscraping prices
- Multimillion-dollar art collection, once promised to SAM, now up for auction at Christie's VIEW
- Seattle high-school teacher shares 'the wonder of books' with students on a different kind of field trip VIEW
- 'Widows,' 'Fantastic Beasts' sequel and more open Nov. 16; our reviewers weigh in
Okoawo received the 2008 National Performance Network/NCCC Artist of Color Residency Award. As for the poetry slam, team performers include: 2008 Seattle Poetry Slam “Grand Slam Champion” Matt Gano (a member of the 2008 Seattle National Poetry Slam team) and five-time coach of the Seattle National Poetry Slam team, Daemond Arrindell.
DJs Tommy Long and Snake Roberts will be spinning down-tempo, chill-out and hip-hop beats. There will be a full bar for those 21 and over with ID.
The artist reception is 5-10 p.m. today in CoCA’s Ballard gallery, at the Shilshole Bay Beach Club, 6413 Seaview Ave. N.W., Seattle. Free entry and parking provided (information: 206-728-1980 or www.cocaseattle.org).
The free exhibition is up now and will remain so through Jan. 14. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays.
Marian Liu: 206-464-3825 or firstname.lastname@example.org