PARK CITY, Utah (AP) — Vice Studios has announced that Amazon Studios has acquired the worldwide rights to the CIA torture investigation film “The Report.”
Vice produced the film and made the announcement Monday following an all-night bidding war for the buzzy political film.
“The Report” stars Adam Driver as senate staffer Daniel Jones, who investigates the CIA’s detention and interrogation program.
Annette Bening plays Senator Dianne Feinstein in the long gestating film from writer-director Scott Z. Burns that received rave reviews at the festival. It was purchased for around $14 million.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Looking for good noir novels set in the Pacific Northwest? Here are some reader recommendations
- Daniel James Brown, author of ‘The Boys in the Boat,’ discusses his latest, ‘Facing the Mountain’
- Artists tell the stories behind 4 art installations that will anchor Seattle’s AIDS Memorial Pathway
- Seek out that ‘new book’ smell with a fresh bouquet of fiction, all new in paperback
- Our critic goes to 3 kinds of shows, as live music slowly comes back in Seattle. Here's what they're like
Amazon plans to release “The Report” in theaters in the fall for an awards push.
It’s the second major acquisition for the studio, which also picked up Mindy Kaling’s talk show host comedy “Late Night” for $13 million.