PARK CITY, Utah (AP) — Vice Studios has announced that Amazon Studios has acquired the worldwide rights to the CIA torture investigation film “The Report.”
Vice produced the film and made the announcement Monday following an all-night bidding war for the buzzy political film.
“The Report” stars Adam Driver as senate staffer Daniel Jones, who investigates the CIA’s detention and interrogation program.
Annette Bening plays Senator Dianne Feinstein in the long gestating film from writer-director Scott Z. Burns that received rave reviews at the festival. It was purchased for around $14 million.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Watch: Brandi Carlile soars in 'Saturday Night Live' debut
- Review: Coldplay spectacular pulls Climate Pledge Arena into the center of its universe
- Crew member who gave Baldwin gun subject of prior complaint
- How the Hanseroth twins and Brandi Carlile became a Grammy-storming 'misfit' family
- Mötley Crüe's Nikki Sixx on how Seattle shaped his music
Amazon plans to release “The Report” in theaters in the fall for an awards push.
It’s the second major acquisition for the studio, which also picked up Mindy Kaling’s talk show host comedy “Late Night” for $13 million.