PARK CITY, Utah (AP) — Vice Studios has announced that Amazon Studios has acquired the worldwide rights to the CIA torture investigation film “The Report.”
Vice produced the film and made the announcement Monday following an all-night bidding war for the buzzy political film.
“The Report” stars Adam Driver as senate staffer Daniel Jones, who investigates the CIA’s detention and interrogation program.
Annette Bening plays Senator Dianne Feinstein in the long gestating film from writer-director Scott Z. Burns that received rave reviews at the festival. It was purchased for around $14 million.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Bumbershoot announces 2023 music lineup, eyes comeback bang for your buck
- 'Love Is Blind' cast members break down the Seattle dating scene WATCH
- Roosevelt High School's new band director smashes jazz's glass ceiling
- NPR cancels 4 podcasts in biggest wave of layoffs in decades
- Gwyneth Paltrow's lawyer calls Utah ski collision story ‘BS’ VIEW
Amazon plans to release “The Report” in theaters in the fall for an awards push.
It’s the second major acquisition for the studio, which also picked up Mindy Kaling’s talk show host comedy “Late Night” for $13 million.