PARK CITY, Utah (AP) — Vice Studios has announced that Amazon Studios has acquired the worldwide rights to the CIA torture investigation film “The Report.”
Vice produced the film and made the announcement Monday following an all-night bidding war for the buzzy political film.
“The Report” stars Adam Driver as senate staffer Daniel Jones, who investigates the CIA’s detention and interrogation program.
Annette Bening plays Senator Dianne Feinstein in the long gestating film from writer-director Scott Z. Burns that received rave reviews at the festival. It was purchased for around $14 million.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- How Jimi Hendrix, racism and grunge intersect, 50 years after the guitarist's death WATCH
- 'Melrose Place' actress headed back to prison for 2010 crash
- Sunday's Emmy Awards show will have several Seattle ties — here's what to keep your eye on
- Is Glennon Doyle's new memoir 'Untamed' inspirational or heavy-handed?
- An introduction to Jimi Hendrix, Seattle's own international music icon, through books, movies and music
Amazon plans to release “The Report” in theaters in the fall for an awards push.
It’s the second major acquisition for the studio, which also picked up Mindy Kaling’s talk show host comedy “Late Night” for $13 million.